Last Updated: February 24, 2022
1. Information We Collect
A. Information You Provide
We receive personal information you provide to use the Services. “Personal information” means information you provide us or information we collect from you that could be used to personally identify you. To be clear, while we do not necessarily collect all of the following types of information, we consider at least the following to be “personal information” if it is otherwise nonpublic and can be used to identify you:
- For email account holders and newsletter subscribers, we may prompt for and store your email address and a password to be used to establish account settings and content subscriptions.
- For those who optionally choose to sign up for an account using credentials from a service like Facebook or Google, we receive from the service your email address, name, and picture. We store the email address but do not store the name or picture.
- Account holders may opt to provide information about content preferences or content of interest, including newsletter subscriptions and topics of interest such as “Elementary,” “Grades 6-8,” or “Grades 9-12.” We store these preferences and may use the information to personalize your Edutopia services.
B. Information Automatically Collected
We also collect certain information automatically when you engage with the Services (“Usage information”). This information includes the following:
- Your browser type and operating system
- Your internet protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the internet and that can be used to derive your general geographic location
- Sites you visited before and after using the Services
- Pages you view and links you click within the Services
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies
- Information about your engagement with e-mail messages, such as the links you click and whether you open or forward the messages
- Standard server log information
Pixel tags, web beacons, or clear GIFs are very small images or small pieces of data embedded in images. These help us understand how users engage with us, for example, by recognizing cookies, providing the time and date a page is viewed, offering a description of the page where the pixel tag is placed, and generating similar information from your computer or device. Edutopia may use pixel tags to determine if email messages have been opened.
2. Use of Information
We use information we collect through the Services for a variety of purposes, such as the following:
- Providing you with requested products, services, newsletters, information, and promotions
- Customizing and personalizing your use of the Services
- Contacting you via email and otherwise about products, services, and events we think might be of interest to you and responding to your communications to us
- Contacting you with surveys, legal notices, and other information related to your use of the Services
- Maintaining or administering the Services, performing charitable or business analyses, or improving our products and services
- Publishing stories, comments, and other information posted in our interactive online features
- Creating articles and other content
- Processing employment applications and inquiries
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or may be fraudulent or illegal
- Fulfilling other purposes as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
3. Sharing of Information
- With service providers. We share your information with our service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf, such as to host the Services, manage databases, perform analyses, create and display video content, conduct surveys, place Edutopia-branded content on third-party websites and platforms, and send communications and newsletters for us. Edutopia uses five types of services: content, performance and reliability, identity, advertising, and analytics. Content services are used to embed and share content such as videos or social posts within the Services. Performance and reliability services are used to monitor the Edutopia system reliability and uptime. Identity services are used to identify, authenticate, and validate site visitors using account and subscription services. Advertising may be used to identify and guide campaigns to offer our subscriptions to prospective subscribers. Analytics are used for the discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns by Edutopia users to aid in our effective decision-making. Some of our current service providers and links to their privacy policies are listed below. We are a non-profit with a small staff, and we will periodically update this list but it may not be current.
Edutopia uses Adobe Typekit web fonts.
Edutopia uses Infogram to embed charts and graphs into certain content.
Google YouTube–Privacy, Terms, Cookies
Edutopia uses the YouTube embedded player to display videos within web pages.
Edutopia uses Twitter to embed Twitter posts within certain content.
Edutopia uses Vimeo embeds to share certain video content.
Service Providers–Performance and Reliability
Amazon Web Services–Cookies
Portions of Edutopia.org are hosted by Amazon Web Services.
Edutopia uses Datadog to monitor system usage and workloads and to determine if systems are operating correctly.
Edutopia uses New Relic to monitor system usage and workloads and to determine if systems are operating correctly.
Edutopia uses SendGrid, an email service provider, to improve deliverability of our newsletter and provide emails to account holders and subscribers.
SolarWinds Pingdom–Privacy, Cookies
Edutopia uses Pingdom to monitor site uptime and real-time user performance including page load timings.
Amazon Web Services Cognito–Cookies
Edutopia uses AWS Cognito to implement authentication of email-based accounts.
Edutopia allows users to optionally sign up for an account or sign in using a Facebook account.
Google Accounts–Privacy, Terms, Cookies
Edutopia allows users to sign up or sign in to Edutopia accounts via Google Accounts. Users may choose to use Google as the service for authenticating their Edutopia accounts.
Google ReCaptcha–Privacy, Terms
Edutopia uses Google reCaptcha to protect our email newsletter and account registration forms from spam and abuse.
Edutopia uses Workable to source, review, manage and retain information about candidates for job recruitment.
Google Analytics–Privacy, Terms, Cookies, Analytics
Edutopia uses Google Analytics to monitor website traffic and usage and to aggregate website behavior patterns.
- To comply with the law. We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
- For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use your personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and (c) protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity.
- With your consent or affirmative actions. We share information about you when you consent or take affirmative steps to provide such information, as when you post information to a user profile or a public area of the Services, such as a forum, blog, or other community tool, or within our social media presence.
4. Social Networking Services
If you choose to connect to the Services via a third-party platform or social media network, you may have the ability to limit the information we may obtain from the third party at the time you connect your third-party account to the Services. Subsequently, you may be able to control your settings through the third-party platform. If you withdraw our ability to access certain information from a third-party platform or social media network, that choice will not apply to information we have already received from that third party.
5. Links to Other Sites and Services
Service providers we use may place and read their own cookies and web beacons or use local storage in the browser and other technologies to collect information through the Services. For example, our vendors may use these technologies to collect information that (a) helps us with traffic measurement, research, and analytics and (b) is used to market on our Services and across the internet and on other apps tailored to your apparent interests. The information collected and stored by outside entities remains subject to their policies and practices, including whether they continue to share information with us, the types of information shared, and your choices of what is visible to others on third party services. We have provided links to the privacy policies of a number of third parties in this Policy.
7. Your Choices
Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, Edutopia currently does not take action in response to these signals. For more information on “do-not-track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Deleting your personal information. If you would like us to delete your personal information, please submit a request to PRIVACY-NOTICES at EDUTOPIA (dot) ORG. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If you would like to submit a complaint about our use of your personal information or our response to your requests regarding your personal information, you may contact us (see address at the bottom of this policy).
Choosing not to share your personal information. Where we are required by law to collect your personal information, or where we need your personal information to provide the Services to you, if you do not provide this information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with the Services.
8. Communications Preferences
If you signed up for a subscription or account, you may receive email or online communications to support your subscription or account. You may unsubscribe from newsletter subscriptions by using unsubscribe links in the messages you receive. If you signed up for an account and wish to delete the account, you can do this online by signing in and then clicking the link for the settings page: https://www.edutopia.org/account/settings
9. Children's Privacy
We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we have collected information from your child under the age of 13, please email us at PRIVACY-NOTICES at EDUTOPIA (dot) ORG.
10. Data Security
We strive to implement reasonable and appropriate security procedures to help avoid loss, misuse, or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of personal information. Examples of our procedures include that Edutopia has developed and implemented and maintains a written organizational information security policy, has implemented employee training regarding safeguarding personal information, has conducted risk assessments and uses readily available security measures to periodically monitor systems and assets to identify data security events. Edutopia has imposed reasonable data access controls and has a process to secure and inventory devices with access to personal information.
Because of the inherent risks in any online transmission or storage of data, we cannot and do not guarantee that your personal information will be 100 percent secure.
You are responsible for storing your account password and maintaining its confidentiality. Please notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security by sending an email to PRIVACY-NOTICES at EDUTOPIA (dot) ORG.
11. International Users
We are headquartered in the United States and we have service providers that have operations internationally. As a result, your personal information may be transferred outside your state, province, or country to the United States or other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
13. Contact Us
George Lucas Educational Foundation
P.O. Box 3494
San Rafael, CA 94912
Email: PRIVACY-NOTICES at EDUTOPIA (dot) ORG